4.29.2008

Disney*ABC is chapping my ass

It’s that time of the year: the writing fellowships and so forth are upon us. There’s a bunch of them out there, if you didn’t know. If you are what they like to call a “diverse writer,” …

(as in:

“Hi, I’m David.”
“Hi, David. I’m Marcus. So what do you do?”
“I’m a diverse writer. How ‘bout you?”
“I’m a nondiverse electrical engineer.”
“I have a friend who does that.”)

…then you should be jumping on these. They’re another way in and worth the simple process of submission. They’re all a little different here and there as per what they want. Read up and jump on ‘em:

The Disney*ABC Writing Fellowship
Warner Bros. Writing Workshop
CBS Diversity Institute's Writers Mentoring Program
Fox's Diversity Writer's Initiative
NBC Diversity Initiative for Writers

But, if you’re like me, your options for these opportunities are more limited. It’s basically The Disney*ABC Fellowship (still a bit of a long shot) and the Warner Bros. Writing Workshop. But I will be applying to both of these. Most likely with my Dexter spec.

Which would all be fine and dandy if Disney*ABC would just update their website. I’d really like to timeline out the wiggle room I have to work in until their deadline. I know I’m not alone on this one as there’s plenty of rumbling around the internet about when they’re going to update their site.

I also like to see the bios on last year’s Fellows, as it’s always interesting to see some vague description of their route to the program, and what shows they spec’ed for their applications.

Until then…

ps. So clearly that first draft of my Dexter spec needs to Happen, capital ‘H.’ I have to start, you know, applying myself. (Pun totally unintended. But totally left in.)

1 comment:

Josh said...

They always wait till the last minute to update it. Unfortunately.