4.14.2008

It's Alive


So after little sleep, I have my first draft of my Dexter outline. I'm taking some time so I can come back to it with fresh eyes. And I'll be getting some feedback on it from my NUEA peer group Wednesday night. Right now I'm in that post-first draft place where I was pretty happy with it for about a day or two, and now I'm starting to see all the holes, all the places where I went off-track from what the episode is supposed to be about. And I'm wondering if this is the best I can do. Which is messy because it's an outline and the writing and the rhythm and voice are so much of it. So do I write it? Do I start over, craft a better idea after my first time behind the Dexter wheel?

Typical first draft bullshit. Need fresher eyes.

But in the meantime, I'm loving the modern era of blogs and the inter-connected world of aspiring writers on the internet. It's good for me. I feel like I have an odd little world of writer interaction. I know some comedy writers that I think are quite good. But in drama, I've personally only run into a few -- whose scripts I've read -- that I thought were good. I've seem to run into more drama writers that I don't think are very good. That could be because drama is top right now and that's where more of the hopefuls are drifting. I don't know.

But it's good to stumble upon people -- even if it is on the internet -- that seem smart and on their game. Even if I haven't read their stuff. Via wonderful, slutty linkage, I've stumbled upon the blogs of Josh and Michael. And they've had some Dexter musings. Which you can see here, here, here, and here.

It's good to know that smart people are out there, putting their nose to the writing table and producing work. It's easy to try to bolster your confidence with all the apparent crap out there, but it's better to keep your eye on those that are chasing that raising bar of quality and craft. It's that good, healthy kind of competition and encouragement.

Recently, I came upon a quote/saying/whatever that I've seen a few times before:

'Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great.'


Not exactly applicable. But mostly. And I like the quote/saying/whatever anyway. It made me think about seeking out those good writers out there. I want to be a part of that community. People working their asses off, working towards writing for TV, film, or whatever. Pushing themselves and those around them, loving what they do and hoping to one day get paid for it.

Which reminds me that I need to get out there and find a writers group that I like, and network network network. Which reminds me:

ps. Catholic camp was exhausting. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but the sleeping arrangements were. I'm so tired I don't know if I even want to write about it at all. It's done.

But I will say that Mychela and I met some cool people there. Some of them worked in the industry. I wouldn't categorize it as networking. We just got along and it made the weekend more fun. But at the end they whipped out a business card, and I was left with my dick in my hand. Really, a scrap of paper and a pen, but you know what I mean. How can I not have business cards? How many fuck-me moments do I need to have before I get myself some cards?

Seriously, guesses anyone?

No comments: