4.20.2008

Various sundries

I have several posts that are all in the waiting. The Waiting. That's an ever-growing thing in my life. It's like the black, pulsating Thing of Evil in The Fifth Element. It's growing. Things get sucked in. I keep yelling at it to give me my shit back (including time, my potential, Lady Luck, Nicki Clyne...), I poke it with sticks and such. But no such luck. So I'm chasing the clock, and yet again I didn't get as much done this weekend as I would've liked to. But I'm workin' on it. I'm giving The Waiting hell. I'm shaking my fist at the sky.

Until that pays off, here are various sundries:

1. Have you ever woke up in the morning, and played Sunday Morning by Lou Reed & The Velvet Underground? And just stretched? Faced this deadly mirage of a free day, just enjoyed those moments before it all gets out of hand and slips through your fingers? You should. (Yes, this is a shameless rip-off of the beautiful sequence in Tran Anh Hung's the vertical ray of the sun.)

2. I am not a fan of Two and a Half Men in any way, shape, or form. Every once in a while I get sucked unwittingly into an chunk of an episode because I find that kid so creepily fixating (he just keeps getting rounder and more awkward, doesn't he?), and also because I find myself mourning Jon Cryer, and missing Duckie. So I know very little about it, other than it's not that funny and highly overrated. But someone at the 'ol soul-choking day job pointed out Chuck Lorre's vanity cards at the end of every episode. Look for them here. Apparently, as his production company logo, Chuck Lorre, for however many seconds they stay on screen, posts a little blurb of whatever the hell he wants to write about. So you have to pause your Tivo or DVR to read most of them. But said coworker pointed out this website. And I have to admit many of these are interesting. Some even funny. Much more entertaining than Two and a Half Men.

3. Is anyone else missing Jane Espenson? She hasn't blogged since Wednesday. Oh sure -- she has a life. She might be out on a script. She might be "taking time for herself." C'mon! Gimme my fix! Enlighten me! How the hell else am I supposed to know what the woman is having for lunch! Here's some more exclamation points: !!!!!! (I'm, of course, mostly kidding.)

4. I haven't seen a movie in the theaters in so long I can't remember what the last thing I saw in the theaters was. That's not good. Add it to the list.

5. Law of Sympathy to the rescue. Maybe Spring Fever is another avatar of The Waiting.

6. There was an earthquake in Chicago on Friday morning. WTF? I'm sure you read about. I grew up in Chicago, lived there many many years, and never experienced any such thing. Hail, town-leveling tornadoes, massive floods, extreme bore teenage boredom -- sure. But no earthquakes. And here I am, waiting in LA for my first taste of the shakes (many many people here give me the look of death when I tell them I'm curious to feel my first earthquake, but it's not like I'm hoping for a big one, I just want to feel a little somethin' somethin'), and it happens in Chicago? C'mon! (More shaking of fists at the sky.)

7. This past Thursday was National High Five Day. Seriously. It was. Check it out. And I didn't take advantage. Which, pathetically, bums me out a little. So I'm declaring Monday the National High Five Day 2: The Sequel, High Five Harder. (yes, I'm going to run this Die Hard 2 joke into the ground. Join me.)

8. I'm seriously going to put in some elbow grease on getting my website up and running. Though it might have to wait until after my brother Tim finishes college next month. He's computer-gifted, and I'm just computer-competent. And I'm relying on him for the bells and whistles. But it's going to happen.

9. Let's all not panic about the year being about 2 1/2 months shy of being half over. And also about the Lakers having a shot at winning it all this year. I WILL NOT WATCH THAT HAPPEN. I could only watch so much of Game 1 with the Nuggets today. Bryant is such a cock monkey.

ps. 10. More zen. In honor of Jason Segel's great opening weekend for Forgetting Sarah Marshall:




pps. I'm spell-checking or proof-reading. So there.

3 comments:

Josh said...

I quite liked Sarah Marshall, though my writer's group wasn't so into it.

m said...

Hey, fellow Chicagolandian in self-imposed exile over here.

Awesome. Need to find more of us and all go to Portillo's.

adam _______________________ said...

Yeah, I've been hearing the same thing about Sarah Marshall. Lots of unimpressed shrugs, but I'm still really curious. I'm going to see it anyway.