11.13.2008

They're afraid it will lead to dancing

A few days ago I was talking to a friend about the chaos of late. The closing of competitions, fellowships and 2008 are all coming nigh. And everything is a big mess. He wasn't sure about his latest script. And I've been drifting, not sure where to go next. We both felt like we're so busy and everything is so confusing right now, how in the world are you supposed to find the time to slow down, calm yourself, clear the debris, find a path, and then spend hours writing? That's a process that would take days in and of itself. Full days, no time for day jobs.

And then this morning I woke up to a bit on NPR where they played this clip from The Third Man (audio only in that case, obviously):



Now, they were talking about the economy, but I've had my fill of economy talk for a long while, thank you very much.

In terms of writing, it's very applicable. Maybe we were placing too much emphasis on taking the time to rid ourselves of our emotional and physical environments. Who says that a peaceful and calm environment is better for writing anyway?

Well, lots of people, probably. But still. Maybe chaos is good. Necessity is the mother of creation and all that. Nature versus nuture. Maybe it'll help for what we should be writing NOW.

Maybe.

ps. There's been some confusion over the title of this post. It's in reference to the old joke that Baptists don't like sex. Because they're afraid.... dancing, yeah. Just reinforcing that maybe we have it backwards, what with the chaos... trust me. It works. Maybe.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Hmm. I don't know. I was raised a baptist and everyone in our church (me included) couldn't stop from having sex.

I have long left the church, but I'm still having sex -- thanks to my good old southern baptist upbringing. PRINT IT!

Oh, and in case you didn't know, Dempster got resigned. Can't wait for him to underachieve for the next four years and take up precious dollars that will up STL overcome you raucous drama-filled baby bear bastards.

Peace.

adam _______________________ said...

If you were still having sex, you wouldn't have all this mean, pent-up aggression.

OR you'd be a Cardinals fan...

(OK, maybe I AM still up for baseball sparring...)