12.22.2008

Joss and Jane went up a hill...


...and hopefully they don't come tumbling after.

(***note: This thing is very late in the posting. I've been dog-paddling in half-marathon training, wedding planning, holiday prep, and jump-starting my writing habits. But I can't not post it, late as it is.)

Two pivotal players in the Mutant Enemy family made some announcements in the last few weeks:

JOSS

In the LA Times, Joss Whedon stated that he doesn't think the Friday night grave-digging is a bad sign for Dollhouse. And while both he and Eliza Dushku seem pretty intent on their PR-spin, it's pretty hard to ignore all the naysaying. You can't talk to anyone without an apprehensive grimace crossing their face before both parties exchange their fears about its fate.

But, nonetheless, regardless, despite this fact, and however, Mr. Whedon had my ear. He's had it since I randomly caught the premiere episode of Buffy way back in good 'ol '97. And as a godfather of 21st century TV cool, who wouldn't want another Whedon show on the air for some time to come?

We're talking Whedon. Dushku. Wordplay. Fanboy glee.

But, most importantly, there's not much out there as far 2008/09 newbies go. There's only a few shows that are drawing my attention. And the TV geek in me is just screaming for a new show to get my attention piquing all over the place. I'm looking for something to get me to actually watch some TV -- dare I say it? -- live. I so wanna break TV specing guidelines and start sketching out a spec on a new show right in the midst of its first season.

I really, really, really want Dollhouse to work. I want Fox to be patient. I want Whedon and staff to fire on all cylinders. And I want Dushku, well, to be be Dushku on the little screen for as long as possible.

C'mon. Say it with me: Dushku.

So how about we all back-pedal and just have some faith. Who doesn't want Dollhouse on the air? Exactly. So let's quit with the naysaying before we Tinkerbell all over it.


JANE

And meanwhile, Jane Espenson's latest post may very well have marked the end of an era. Apparently Jane will be taking a break from her blog as it's stood for the last few years. Go ahead. Read it for yourself.

Completely understandable, I suppose. But sigh-worthy. Very very sigh worthy. This is a blog so many of us have been reading for years now. And Jane's been incredibly generous with her time. Hers was the first writerly blog that I followed.

It's just weird to think that I could be working on a spec, hit some snag, and not be able to check out Jane's latest post to see if it had some serendipitous and timely advice. There's always the archives. But still. Era.

Thanks, Jane. Thanks for the words, the advice, and the lunches.

ps. Dushku.

No comments: