1.26.2009

Tivo Guilt & ASAP Shows


OK, so the last thing I want to do is help to propagate any term connected to Tivo -- that horrid little anthropomorphic technology -- but, yeah, I'm gonna. I have a non-Tivo DVR, but I'm still swimming in Tivo Guilt.

So much TV. So much TV that I need to catch up on; so much TV that I would watch if I could somehow (like so many of the people in this city that I can't fathom) afford to be gainfully unemployed; so much TV that I have the technology to record in avalanching hours and half-hours; so much TV that I want to be unbelievably awesome and reduce me to a pale, atrophied hermit.

So, I've a lot of TV on my Tivo and I have no idea how I'll ever dig myself out, while still going to work, looking for work, and writing. Short of influenza, I see no end in sight.

And I'm not even throwing the TV-on-DVD onto the scales. (See my previous post.)

BUT --

that's not what this post is about. I'm fascinated by what people actually watch. If not live, then within a few days of having DVR'd it. What shows do people hit up ASAP and not relegate to their own Tivo Guilt stockpile? I think most people -- at least younger, working people -- watch next-to-nothing live anymore unless they're petrified of spoilers. But those shows they do watch ASAP are very telling.

If I'm talking to a friend about Tivo Guilt, I always bring up their ASAP Shows. There are the standards, but there's always something a little surprising thrown into the mix.

So, as I try to Shawshank my way out of my DVR stockpile, here's my current ASAP shows, in no particular order:

Battlestar Galactica
Psych
30 Rock
Bones
Leverage
Fringe (still not sure why on this one)
How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory

ps. I suppose I should cop to regularly catching pieces of Gossip Girls. But someone else is to blame for that. You know who you are.

pps. For those who watched the SAG Awards last night, Tina Fey confirmed that "I want to go to there" is her daughter's creation. Man, I should have put money on that.

No comments: