5.18.2009

The Oddities of HIMYM


I've been out of commission for a while. But considering I got married in April, I'm lucky I didn't end up in a post-nuptial Bermuda Triangle. It's kind of like waking up in a field naked, with a big gap in your memory and crop circles shaved into your hair. Though I doubt my wife would describe it that way.

Anyway, to the point, I was planning on discussing the Bones finale. But I really do enjoy that show and I just couldn't bring myself to discuss how horrible it was.

Instead, I'm going to return to my bloggerly interest in How I Met Your Mother. Aside from the fact that HIYM often plays the salt to my wounds, and I'm fairly certain that Carter Bays and Craig Thomas are stalking me -- I found tonight's season finale to be incredibly interesting. (No worries, no spoilers.) And no, it wasn't the Mother tease. Anyone who actually thought they were going to fulfill on their show's titular promise when there's still syndication fuel to add to the fire, well, you're glutton for punishment.

What I found so interesting is that both Alyson Hannigan and Colbie Smulders were entirely un-pregnant. No belly hiding, no big poofy shirts and dresses with wild patterns, so big bags. (Well, not for Colbie Smulders, anyway.) Ms. Smulders gave birth three days ago. And Ms. Hannigan not so long ago herself.

Which means that they shot this episode, what, shortly after the middle of the season? It was before Colbie Smulders started showing, which had to be 6-8 episodes ago. I'm sure this isn't unheard of, and it's not like the show is Lost or anything.

Obviously the show's arc was plotted out. No shocker there. But what is interesting is that this would explain the somewhat shaky drive of the last six or so episodes of this season. Would this finale have hit better if they had been working towards it, and have been able to tinker last minute with the flow of the last four episodes?

Maybe, maybe not. But I thought the last four episodes where a little up and down. A lot of stopping and starting. I don't know if anyone else felt the momentum was a little off -- but I felt it. And the apparent mechanics of this finale seemed to clear some of that up for me.

But, nonetheless, this season was pretty "on" for HIMYM. It wasn't always at its best, but it was a pretty consistent and pleasing season. While I was in line at the ABC/Disney presentation at The Fine Art Theater on Sunday, I heard two aspiring comedy writers criticizing the "softball" humor of HIMYM. But they also were fans of recent Entourage, so, I took that with a grain of salt.

I think HIMYM is one of the more successful sitcoms on television. Sure, it's no 30 Rock. But it's good. And I think they did a good job while juggling not one, but two pregnancies. So hopefully next season's unencumbered momentum will lead to another onward and upwards season. And not just a syndication fodder line-up.

ps. You can't softball Jesus.

1 comment:

Vanilla Chunk said...

where are you? I miss reading your blog.