1.12.2011

2011, Search me bitch


So apparently 2011 is all about soul searching. Or maybe I just don't know enough people outside of the 27-36 age bracket.

Let me back track. I like to give years themes. It started in the humid jungles of Chicago in the early noughts. I billed one summer as The Summer of Love. And it ended up being true. Through no vision of my own, love abounded that summer. (Well, lust might be more accurate over the entire scope of my friends, but still.) There was also The Summer of Discontent, The Summer of Bad Decisions, etc. There was a small group of people by the end that wanted to know each summer's label before we got into the thick of it each year. (The Summer of Bad Decisions was entirely too accurate, BTW, but how fun in retrospect.)

Then, when I moved to LA, it somehow morphed into a yearly matter. There's only one from that original group out here with me, but we held to it and it's proven eerily consistent. 2010 was The Year of Upheaval. And wow, up was heaved all over the fucking place.

I've decided to call 2011 The Year of Better. Part positive thinking, part wish fulfillment, part insistence, part:



But -- and to get to the point -- there seems to be a lot of soul searching on the menu for 2011. I heard it once today, and I've heard two other friends use that term. Maybe it's just our age range. Maybe it's the economy. Maybe it's some cyclical LA/industry crap.

But it's out there. People taking stock. Starting to give the business suspicious looks. Wondering where in the hell the next third (hopefully) of our lives will take us. How we can follow what we love and not hate 40 hours a week of our lives, or continually feel that we're missing something.

But 2011 needs to be a step closer. A step up, a step forward -- geographically, financially, whatever. 2011 is The Year of Better. You heard it here first.

ps. And, on my whimsy, I'll leave you with a few quotes on the matter. And yes, I'm playing devil's advocate.

So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.
— Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower


Everybody's coming back to take stock of their lives. You know what I say? Leave your livestock alone.
- Debi Newberry, Grosse Pointe Blank


No matter where you go, there you are.
- Buckaroo Banzai

2 comments:

JUST ME said...

Year of the Better is exactly what I want, too.

Year of the Career Explosion in a Good Way and Year of the Awesome Boyfriend would be good also...

adam _______________________ said...

Amen. Minus the boyfriend for me. I say we make T-shirts. I can see hipster girls wearing T-shirts that say, "Year of the Awesome Boyfriend." I mean, when have hipsters girls ever done anything for me? Gimme $$$.

I'm kidding. Mostly.

But Year of Better, all around. Amen.