1.21.2011

Sharp Objects - brief book review

Sharp ObjectsSharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I constantly had to put this down, because I found it anxious and queasy -- but I kept coming back to it rather quickly. It's a sick, dark book that feels like it came out of some sticky, pulsing recess of dread and need. And I say those things in a positive way. Sharp Objects is unpleasant, but it's done so with a very pleasing and glossy execution. It's surprisingly easy going down, like sexual attraction, but much of the book is still as bracing and as ugly as the morning after. Gillian Flynn does a good job of pulling us in on ourselves and making us comfortable before she slips us something nasty.



View all my reviews

ps. Looking forward to her second book, Dark Places.

No comments: