2.08.2011

The Song Is You

The Song Is You: A NovelThe Song Is You: A Novel by Megan Abbott

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book goes down easy. I don't know if I'd call Megan Abbott a mystery writer -- she writes good old-fashioned, mid-twentieth century noirs. And she's wickedly good at it. The retro-lurid covers of her books kept me away at first, thinking they'd be nothing but mere pulp, or worse, bottom barrel genre. But I'm glad I picked this one up. The dark, opaque turns she takes are seductive, but the real pleasure in her books are the moments. Abbott is fantastic with the small moments, the contained interactions between two people. I don't know if I cared about the characters all that much in this book, but Abbott sure as hell made me want to soak up every last moment between them. Her touches are all over this rebirthed noir, and it's the better for it.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

JUST ME said...

I'd read that book - just based on the cover.

...Which is how I pick most books out anyway.

adam _______________________ said...

I'm often the same. I'm a sucker for cover art. But for some reason this cover art made me skeptical. Like it was a bait-and-switch deal. It wasn't. So I'm back, hot and heavy, with the cover art.