12.23.2011

Top 10 Lists Suck Nuts, but still....

The title of this post speaks for itself. But still: Top Ten Lists suck. They're almost pointless. The mere numbness one feels after reading all the variations of top ten lists out there by professionals at places this really settle this fact. Moreover, this year f-ing blows, cinematically speaking, as seems to be the trend of recent years.  So the resulting lists are either ridiculous, filled with movies most people haven't seen or didn't have access to, or are populated by bloated, overrated, silly movies like Tree of Life -- which in a better year would have been relegated to an obligatory honorary mention.

But, anyway, I'm going to post BenDavid Grabinski's top ten list for 2011.  (Don't ask me about the combo first name, I have no idea.)  Grabinski is amusing.  And I (sort of) met him once when I was temping as a receptionist at a not-to-be-named studio.  He was polite (which is a rarity in La La Land for people to be polite to people they don't know, or to people like receptionists or assistants) and funny.  I also really dug his spec.  His blog is fun, and, on topic, I find his top ten list to be refreshingly all-inclusive, respectable, and aware of its zeitgeisty meh-ness:


Top ten lists are stupid, but I might as well…

10) TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY
9) FAST FIVE
8) THE DESCENDANTS
7) MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
6) MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE GHOST PROTOCOL
5) DRIVE
4) ATTACK THE BLOCK
3) YOUNG ADULT
2) HUGO
1) A BOY AND HIS SAMURAI (festival)

Worst:
1) PIRATES 4

Rad movies that missed the top ten: RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, MARTHY MARCY MICHAEL MULLET MILDEW MAY, BULLHEAD (festival), THE YELLOW SEA, WAR HORSE, WARRIOR, GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (easily the best movie of the year in terms of formalism), TINTIN, YOU’RE NEXT, SUPER.

I will probably edit this in five minutes after I realize I forgot something important.
Also, I always look back at my top ten lists years later and laugh. You never know which movies will have staying power. TINKER TAILOR could end up being #1 etc.


ps.  Ha.  One worst movie listed.  I decree all top ten lists should do that from here on out.

No comments: