5.11.2012

Our Man in the Midwest



That's right, I moved.  And I will soon have a new internet home.

If my exit from Los Angeles had been less rushed, I would have made more of a proper notice of this change.  (This includes letting a few friends know.  Sorry:  I'm an ass; blah blah; life...)  But a tangled junk heap of events spanning back over the past year and a half came to a head in an avalanche that landed me back in the Midwest.  When the landslide finally happened I literally went from job concerns to big news to the birth of my daughter to getting myself out to the Midwest and starting a new job in just about a month.

I'm slowly unearthing myself, and soon my family will follow me out this way.  But, in the end, the sun has set on my time in the Desert.  Times have changed, and so have I.

It's weird.

But it's also great.  Being back here has been an amazing rejuvenation for my writing.  I've shed the projects that were weighing me down and that my heart wasn't in to begin with.  My AOS novel has been reborn out of the ashes, and the ideas are flowing.

Maybe it's something in the air.  I don't know.  But as much as it would have turned my stomach just years ago to think about leaving Los Angeles and heading back to the Midwest -- it feels right.  I've been wondering how this would go. It's going well.  Midwest, you're looking good.


"The Midwest:  see, we're not all fat and pale"


As I shuttle through this beautiful city, I've been wondering if people are personally connected to certain places in ways that go beyond comfort and nostalgia;  if their own anima can feel at home somewhere.  Because being back here, it's like waking up.  Everything always felt like more of a struggle in the Desert.  I'm remembering how much more freely the work was done here in the years before I left.

Regardless, in terms of my state of mind and my writing, something inside me has relaxed, is busy at work, and is just letting things happen on their own.  I keep thinking, as I have mentioned before, of Arthur Miller's advice to Peter Krause when they were working on Miller's After the Fall on Broadway shortly before Miller's death.  Krause was having trouble with a scene, and Miller simply said:  "Let it be easy."    

Maybe it's just the change of scenery.  But I don't think so.  I'm not saying this place is magical and LA is cursed ground.  I'm just saying returning to the Midwest has been a salve for me.  Maybe there's something here that speaks to me.  Maybe I was just wasn't meant to be in LA.  Maybe my subconscious just hates the Lakers that much.

But I'm here.  And things are changing.  But, no worries, I will continue to report to you on the interwebs. It's just my assignment that's changed.  I'm back where this all started --

Your Man in the Midwest



ps.  I'll be listing a link for the new site soon.  

pps.  I will still keep this site open as my "correspondent in the Desert" for all things Westerly and Hollyweird and LA hoo-ha.

ppps.  I have no idea why I'm including this, but it came up when I googled "Midwest," and it looks eerily similar to the doodles I used to make on the chalk boards in any empty classroom I'd stumble upon while in high school:



No comments: