6.01.2012

Boners: I heart Hammervision

My wife pointed out Hammervision to me. She went to school with Magistra, one of its creator/writers. At first I wasn't so sure about it, as I didn't share all of their tastes in TV and movies. But I kept an eye on it. They were in Chicago and both had a lot on their plate and still managed to run their blog. How they see all those movies and TV shows while raising their kids, I have no idea. That alone kept my interest piqued.


Over time I've found many of their posts to be good stuff, and Magistra herself amuses me.

As of late, I decided I like them quite a bit. And Magistra's recent string of posts about 50 Shades of Grey has made it official.

I heart Hammervision.

This most recent post she put up about Books You Should Read Instead of 50 Shades of Grey (sorry to be a grammar nazi, but book titles should be italicized, not in quotation marks) is fantastic. Whenever someone is going to recommend books I get a bit hesitant as I usually find reading recommendations to be awful, if not downright oblivious.  Repeating what's on the NY Times Bestseller lists, or what Oprah has "recommended," is not a book recommendation.  I also don't need someone to recommend Jay-Z, nonstick pans, sex and chocolate milk.  But thanks anyway.

But Magistra's list is fantastic, varied and interesting.  And right on the money.

Read Hammervision.

Read something on her list of alternatives to 50 Shades of Grey.

I'm going to read The Fault in Our Stars, which has been on my to-read list for a while.  (And constantly recommended by many that I trust.)



I'm also adding Herself When She's Missing.


Thanks, Magistra!


ps.  Hammervision is on my links to the right.  But for some reason Blogger keeps adding ".../rss" to their link and thus my main link for them doesn't work.  I don't know why Blogger is doing this.  But the individual post links work.

No comments: