6.21.2012

TDKR: John Blake = Dick Grayson?



There's been a lot of speculation about Joseph's Gordon-Levitt's character in The Dark Knight Rises, John Blake.  And today there is an article on Forbes laying out a chain of evidence pointing to his, in fact, being Robin.

It's a nice theory.  It's been percolating in my own mind as well.  And, I have to admit, I like the idea a lot.    I'm surprised that I do, but I really like the thought of giving Robin the same style of rebirth that Nolan has given to Batman.  Robin needs it more than Batman did.

Robin I (Dick Grayson), Robin IV (Stephanie Brown),
Robin II (Jason Todd), and Robin III (Tim Drake)
 
Pen, ink, & PS7, 2007


There's a lot of talk that John Blake will take over the legend of Batman when Bruce Wayne can no longer wear the cowl -- that he doesn't have to be Robin for this to be the case.  Both logic and Batman comic lore support this idea.


And yet, somehow, I still prefer the Robin approach.  I'm not entirely sure why.  But I do.


http://www.mingdoyle.com/illust/sketch07.html#


But, in the end, I'm just not so sure it's true.  A large part of me wants it to be, but another large part of me doubts it.  I hope the latter part is wrong.


Either way, I'm curious to see how Blake carries on the legend of the The Dark Knight.  Because I do think that this is what's in store.  But I'm open to surprises.







ps.  Thoughts?

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm not as in tune with the actual comics side of Batman and have always thought of Robin's character as a t.v. gimmick, but so far Nolan has made everything about this franchise BETTER. A billion times better. So I have faith that whatever he does, he's doin' it right.

adam ___________________ said...

Actually, Robin goes all the way back to the 1940's. He was brought about to a) draw in young readers to the Batman comics, and b) to give Batman someone to talk to and interact with, as they were tired of having Batman have to think to himself all the time. Or so the stories go.

Robin was actually brought about to the Watson to Batman's Holmes. And he was actually based on Robin Hood. Hence the costume, which became 1970's silly, was actually supposed to have a medieval influence a la the prince of thieves.

While the character of Robin has some silly roots, there's been a lot of work done over last couple of decades to get to the dark root of Batman working with a child. It fits in with his origin story as well. Not to mention the murder of Jason Todd (Robin #2) is one of the most famous Batman stories ever told.

And Grayson, the original Robin, does stand as one of the successors to Bruce Wayne as Batman in the comic story lines.

Regardless, the idea of a young protege of Batman is an intriguing story line, and I agree that Nolan can make it work.

Jeff said...

Cool. Thanks for the historical background. Didn't know any of that. I'll be happy as long as Chris O'Donnell isn't involved.